1) Get a new "Do". Personal grooming works hand in hand with a great wardrobe. A new hairstyle does wonders to your appearance. In fact, it sometimes determines the rest of your wardrobe. Key hairstyle trends for guys are the school boy and rocker cut. The school boy look is evident with parting of the hair to one side. The rocker is a cut where you have a lot of fringe or bangs. See images below. Also get into the habit of moisturizing your face. Healthy skin makes you look younger.
2) Perform a Wardrobe Audit and Closet Makeover. Take a look at your closet. Review what you own and make sure you have strong basic pieces. Understand how each piece works with the others in creating your look. If you need to buy new pieces, make sure they are as classic as possible. Investing in a good quality classic item will serve as your foundation for future purchases. Work with a friend (preferably female) or hire a personal stylist to help you determine what to keep and what to get rid off. If you didn’t wear it in 2008, you won’t wear it in 2009. Trust me!
3) Utilize your size. Buying clothes that fit your shape is an essential wardrobing tip. Most guys buy a size bigger for whatever reason. 100% c otton shirts have a maximum shrinkage of 2%. So if you’re really a large, and you buy an extra-large, the chances of it fitting properly after a wash are slim. Speaking of slim, the tailored look will still be seen a lot in 2009. Get your neck, arms, chest, waist measured by your tailor and keep these measurements in your wallet.
4) Keep your shoes clean. Whether it’s a pair of sneakers, loafers or boots, the best way to mess up your look is to wear a pair of scuffed up and muddy shoes. There are two things that determine where a man is in life, the watch on his wrist and the shoes on his feet. Make sure your shoes reflect the man you are!
5) Know thyself. A new you is based on who you want to be and not what other think you should be. The clothes you wear are a reflection of who you are at a point in time. Understand what your goals are for 2009. Pick what clothes will best suit you to achieve those goals. Identify what image you want to convey to others. Work from the inside out.
Happy 2009 everyone!